“I can’t get off my ass unless I’m in a strict office setting with a boss,” he writes. “I’m a programmer, so I could totally work from everywhere. I just need a computer. But unless I’m in an office with a guy standing behind me, I can’t get off my ass.”
Max wants some suggestions about how to motivate himself.
That’s a toughie.
Fact is, most folks need massive external motivation just to get outta bed in the morning, not to mention become solopreneurs.
The bad news is that heavy reliance on outside incentives — like the boss swinging a baseball bat at your head — guarantees mediocrity.
Worse yet, self-motivation is a downright bitch.
But fear not. I’ve got some pointers to help you get off your patootie.
1. Know yourself. When do you rock? When does it literally take the Jaws of Life to pry you off the couch? Figger out your motivational patterns and work around ’em.
2. Keep learning. When you pick up new info, it’s exciting. And the more you learn, the more confident you become to start moving forward.
3. Surround yourself with positive, motivated people. Create a mastermind group with business-oriented friends. Or share ideas with others on online forums.
4. Stop thinking so damn much. Just charge ahead — http://www.wallyconger.com/rhinotactics.
5. Help others get motivated. You can’t help but suck up a share of that motivation yourself.
Don’t forget: high achievers are able to motivate themselves.